The Green in New Haven looked like the ‘Walking Dead’ as 71 people overdosed on synthetic marijuana called K2. Reports from New Haven Register claims that most of the people who overdosed were on the Green which is a 16-acre park and recreation area in the downtown district of the city.
“We have a guy laid out in the alleyway, unresponsive, eyes wide open. He’s out cold,” a bystander told NH Register.
A 911 caller said he saw a man having overdose symptoms as well, “All I know is that he was sitting on the chair first, then on the ground, back on the chair and then back on the ground, shaking like crazy.”
City Office of Emergency management Director Rick Fontana said the chaos started at 8 a.m. and ended at 9:28 p.m. He does expect the numbers to climb.
The K2 that these victims overdosed on was mixed with fentanyl according to Dr. Kathryn Hawk, an Emergency Department physician at Yale New Haven Hospital.
One man has been arrested as a “person of interest”.